Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dog Walking

I can now proudly say that my hounds are the best at walking with whom I have ever had the pleasure to do so.

I have found my 2nd calling.  Granted Wishes Pets is underway -- I LOVE being a dog walker.  I have two clients, Rosco and Sugar.  Both boxers, owned by completely separate people.  Rosco is a total gentleman, when he doesn't meet his arch nemesis dog(s).  Sugar is a lovebug, who also doesn't really approve of other dogs.  I see Roscoe for 30 minutes Mondays-Fridays; and Sugar for an hour Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  It's getting me fit, and I completely love living in California and being able to enjoy the outdoors in February when everyone back home is complaining of imminent snow storms.

I am trying, and failing, to energize my hounds.  Energize them for training, for activity... I think I may have waited too long in their lifespan to hope for them to be anything like Never Say Never Greyhounds Riley, Seven, or Reagan.  However, I love them dearly, and they are excellent emotional assistance dogs.  JoJo and Kibeth are also learning to tag team to help me with my anxiety.  Yesterday was the first day that they snuggled in my bed without a fireside to entice them.

Kibeth's vet checkup is tomorrow for her corneal ulcer.  Once again, I do not believe her eye to be healed, and it should be.  It's still red, enflamed, and teary.  However, those are all signs that healing is going on, so here's hoping it's just taking its sweet time.  She is ever the terrific patient, but fading fast.  I can see her quality of life diminishing.

I have cancer on my mind, for some reason.  I am paranoid JoJo has it.  She has small, hard lumps in her skin (not attached to anything internally, but under her fur) about the size of a pea.  There are two of them, in one of her front legs.  I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow with Kibeth, to have him just take a look and see if they're anything worth investigating.  Likely not, as they're not attached to the leg, they're just in the skin.  However, they're nothing like the fatty tumors I've encountered with my other dogs (Kibeth included).

2 comments:

  1. A dog walking job in sunny California is not a bad deal. :-) Hope all is well with the hounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that Kisbeth's eye is getting better (from the post after this one) and that Jojo is okay! After getting dumped on with the thunder snow of Snowmageddon yesterday, I'm thinking walking dogs in California sounds pretty good right now.

    I'm not sure that what Jen does with her Greyhounds is for everybody, but there are a lot of different ways to get them out and more active without having to start an agility career. We take Bunny (and sometimes Blueberry, although she's on complete rest now with her broken toe) hiking most weekends. You can make that as hard or easy as you like based on the distance and terrain you choose. Bunny did a fifteen mile hike with us back in November and was quite the little trooper about it. We've also done basic obedience and nursing home visits. I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to be more active with your hounds, there are lots of fun different ways that you can do it!

    ReplyDelete