Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tooth Brushing

Ever since watching Never Say Never Greyhounds' video about successfully brushing her needle nose hounds' teeth and avoiding denials, I've been breathing a sigh of relief. Although I believe a raw diet is far more nutritious than a commercial diet, I am squeamish. I do not enjoy handling raw meat. I do not enjoy packaging every week. I do not enjoy worrying about poisoning, disinfecting. I'm lazy, I suppose. I have done it for a few years for the good of my dogs, because I love them. Primarily, though, it has been dental hygiene inspired. With the glorious news that is not the only way, I'm just fine with finding a high quality can and kibble diet for my dogs. Dolce lives on training treats anyway, LOL.

JoJo still has to have a hybrid diet as her kidneys do not tolerate the higher levels of phosphorus. As JoJo must have raw, Kibeth can, too. However, both of them are having kibble and can in the morning now. It's so much more convenient. I put Dolce's kibble in a Kong Wobbler and he has a blast working the kibble out for breakfast and dinner.

The girls have always been nice and tolerant of having their teeth brushed. I got Petrodex toothpaste, per the aforementioned video, and they are even more agreeable. Dolce was the wildcard. He's a wiggle worm for nail trims, and the beginning stages of toothbrushing proved to be no different. Since watching me do the girls, however, he's learning how to sit nicely, or even lay down for his brushing session. He's eager now, gets very excited, because he loves the taste! If I let him just gnaw on the toothbrush, he'd do so.

I have the girls on Canidae grain-free Pure Elements formula can + kibble, and Dolce on Taste of the Wild, the purple bag... Lamb and something, also grain-free. All is going well so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment